STORIES COME WITH LESSONS

These few days, I came across a few beautiful stories, each of it comes with a lesson.
And I decided that they are all worth sharing. 

Dad's Perspective Story
We were chatting that night and dad told me the story about his mentor, Mr.L, who gave each one of his downline RM300 to support them in their roadshows.

Dad told me that the gesture was a motivation, a push to do well for his mentor. He did more than RM300 worth of roadshows and work harder as a gratitude gesture. Of course Mr. L would monitor how they spend the RM300, to keep track of their progress in the business. I think it is his right to do so because at the end of the day, it is his money which he used to assist and help his downline achieve success in the business.

Dad told me about another girl, who is also his mentor's downline, who asked him (dad) how much Mr. L gives him and if Mr. L checks on how he spends the money. Her comments were that it is annoying that he keeps checking on how she uses the money. It is not like she doesn't have the RM300.

It is amazing how different people have different perspectives about a gesture and about the RM300 given. The amount of money is the same - but it generates two different actions and thoughts. Dad used it as a power boost, while the lady friend see it negatively because she doesn't see the kind gesture behind the RM300. She saw only RM300, which might not be a lot to some. Dad said, RM300 is not a lot, but the force and the kindness behind the money, that is what makes this RM300 worth so much more. 

After he heard the lady, dad said, he worked even harder so as to not waste Mr. L's efforts, and so that Mr. L can use him as an example to the lady what the gesture means and how that RM300 help achieve so much more. 

Dr. Richard Teo
I read this article on Facebook about a 40-year-old cosmetic surgeon, stricken with lung cancer who shared his story with a group of students. 

He is highly competitive as he has, all his life, equated happiness to success and success to money. So he strove hard for a good job and all the fancy things and monies - even changing his major in doctorate to cosmetic surgery (or like he puts it, a glorified beautician) just so he can make more $$. 

He is not bad looking and the way he described how he was last time, I can feel that he was once one of those cocky rich boys who thinks they have everything (girls, cars, looks, money etc) and love to show off. 

He thought he has everything - until he was diagnosed with cancer.
He said what makes him happy wasn't the thought of hugging his Ferrari - but the people around him who were all there for him. 

"The irony is, you only learn how to live when you learn how to die"
I love this sentence and I think it is true. Sometimes, we really don't know what we live for or what is the meaning of life until we are at the end of our journey.

For him, he not only learn what true happiness means, but more importantly what his job as a doctor can actually do for others. He describes how as a doctor, he was trained to be compassionate, to feel empathy for his patients and to help them, but, he used to wish that his patients will leave his consultation room sooner, so that he can get back to his own activities with the money he has. He didn't possess the quality that a good doctor should have - "the ability to care". 

He shared how difficult it is to be a patient - the fear, the insecurities and uncertainties, and he wasn't there to understand them until now, when he is in their shoes. He advised this group of students to not fall for the trap of greed, which will lead to the lost of morals and the essence of what being a doctor actually is. 

I'm lucky because I've known since young that happiness is not about money. I'm one of those 'poor' people that Dr. Richard talked about. I am quite easily contented.

For me, happiness is all about having great people around me who loves me, and takes care of me selflessly. Perhaps that's why I've never been driven or motivated to have extra money (which in a way, could be bad) - I just need enough for me to have a few drinks or dinners with friends, enough to buy decent gadgets to serve my entertainment needs and enough to keep me sheltered from the rain. That's all I live for.

I'm glad that the people around me nurtured me that way - to be contented and grateful, and to treasure the things that really matters - family and friends and the connections. I am a person with many flaws, but the people around me makes my life complete, and I can live with my flaws. You won't understand how much I treasure friendship and the people around me. My rough days are often brightened up by some of these people in so many ways.

To me, happiness is also about helping others; I am selfish that way. I want to help people because I want to feel good. Not everyone is worth helping - but for those who are, I will go all out for them.

I won't say I know everything about being happy, but Dr. Richard's article reminded me of some of the core values that will help me be happy and I shall continue practicing them.
And you know what, personally, I think Happiness itself is the key to good health. :)

Click HERE to read the full transcript of Dr. Richard Teo's speech: 
And I just found the video, click HERE to watch it. 

R.I.P Dr. Richard Teo - never too late to change. Your speech was inspiring. Thank you.

The Middle - Mike
The Middle is a comedy that I love - entering its 6th season. 
It revolves around a family of five, who is struggling to make ends meet. The themes of the comedy is how, at the end of every day, even if it is a dysfunctional family, they helped each other through the hardships.

Patricia Heaton plays Francis Heck (The Mum) - always nagging and trying hard to improve the family and always thinking of funny ideas on how they good be a better family, in a way annoying the whole family.

Neil Flynn plays Mike Heck (the Dad) - who is a man of few words, like sports - you know, the type of laidback, responsible dad. He usually butt heads with the wife makes his stand but at the end of the day, although rigid and boring, he tries to accommodate to his wife's every need. The best part is that even if he doesn't get his wife's unreasonable antics, he is always there for her. To be honest, I really like Mike Heck's character. If I had a husband, it would be awesome to have a Heckie! 

They share 3 kids together - Axl, Sue and Brick.
Axl is the popular kid in school, but way too dumb. Loving at heart, but super rebellious on the surface.
Sue is the invisible child - super nice girl but underachiever because she is clumsy and suck in everything. However she is the optimist in the family and nothing (and I mean nothing) can bring her down (well, except not getting Justin Bieber concert tickets). Brick is the smart one, but has social problems because of his 'quirks'. 

There are a lot of good episodes that touched me, but I am going to talk about the most recent one that I've watched. Sue saw her dad's paycheck and realised that they are poor...
It is hilarious in a way because, everyone in the family knows they are poor but apparently she doesn't.
So, because she is such a sweet kid, she cancelled her trip partially funded by her parents. When Mike found out, he said to Sue that it is not something for her to worry about, that is something that he is responsible to worry about.

That was the exact same thing that Dad said to us last time when we had some financial hardship. It reminded me to be grateful for great fathers such as mine. For a daughter to hear those words, we know the sacrifices that a dad makes for a family, and we will forever remember that.

It was one of the most touching lines in The Middle. 

I shall leave you with these few stories to ponder upon while I say "Hello" to my soft bed. It is 4.40am...

More adventures for tomorrow.

Cheers and Love,
TammyC




Comments

Popular Posts