A TASTE OF BANGKOK DUCK

I've come to learn from my trip to Bangkok that there are generally two (2) main activities there - shopping and food. Seriously, if you are not shopping, you find yourself chomping down a variety of local delicacies...your mouth, hands and legs basically don't stop working. Yet, with all that 'hard work' and 'exercise' I still managed to gain weight.

Must-tries in Bangkok includes:
Mango + Glutinous Rice
Pad Thai (a must for me)
Yellow Curry + whatever meat they serve
Worms and Grasshoppers
and of course...
Anything that has to do with Tom Yam

We ate so much of those that I've lost count of the number of times I ate the same food during the entire trip and, you know what - I am still craving for it! 

However, we managed to take a break from all the Thai "cuisine" and got a taste of Authentic Hong Kong cuisine all the way in Thailand hahaha!

Located at Naradhiwas Soi 24, Hong Kong Si Fang Cai (Hong Kong Home Cuisine) is famous for serving goose and duck. Slurp! Slurp! .


How to get there?

The mouthwatering banners

We heard that this place is delicious and so, we had to go there and try it out. To be honest, the cab ride there almost "killed" me because I was cold, hungry and nauseated due to the jam. But the joy when we saw the signboard with the words "Hong Kong Home Cuisine" - priceless! 

And there at the entrance, a friendly trishaw greeted us (oh a little cupid was there too, I think he got lost). The restaurant's design carries with it an ancient Chinese flavour, I'd say something like what you can expect on Jonker Street in Malacca, minus the Malay influence. For a moment, when I was there, I forgot that I am actually in Bangkok.



On second thoughts, I think he is making the place a pit stop for his nap. No wonder Taeyang hasn't fallen for me yet - the cupid isn't exactly doing his job...

Interior design: Simple, yet managed to capture the Chinese essence and culture. I'd say it's a unique blend of traditional with a slight touch of modernity

Time for the food
I hope I didn't look too hungry; I tried my best to act calm, cool and collected although at that moment,  I really could just order everything on the menu and think that I could finish it.

I'm glad that our gracious host and owner of the restaurant recommended a few signature dishes for us (save us the trouble of digesting the menu, and any longer, it would be literal). Sadly, the goose didn't make it to our table because there were not enough geese supply. But I was glad a whole duck came - A WHOLE DUCK MUAHAHAHAHAHAH! I was ecstatic until the part where we were all too full to finish it.

Let me interrupt this session with a fun fact about me. I am not a fan of Chinese food.
Yes, but this place is really different, and trust me, it's not because I am hungry. Because even after I am full, I can't help but nibble on the dishes because there were good! 

Here are a list of my favourites that night:

#1: Sauted String Beans with Minced Pork @ 120/178 Baht (app. RM 12.00/RM17.80)


OMG this dish is to die for! Seriously, I have no idea how they make this but it is so delicious that I can eat rice with ONLY this. They diced pork together with mushrooms and a special sauce that makes it so good that I really can't get enough of it that night. 

#2: Steamed Eggplant with Spicy Minced Pork @ 125/225 Baht (app. RM 12.50/RM22.50)



Another "Yum Yum" dish recommended because they used the same ingredients for the spring beans to cook this - difference is the cooking method (this one is steamed) and this one is slightly spicy. You know, I'm not a fan of eggplant, but that night, I had 5 pieces (or more, I can't remember)! This is how you sell vegetables to kids! 

#3: Oh the Duck (899 Baht or app. RM 89.90 for the whole duck)




I've been a huge fan of ducks FOR ALL MY LIFE and I usually eat any duck that comes my way (sounds quite wrong, but you get what I mean). But sometimes, I can be very choosy because if the duck meat is too dry, I might eat lesser than usual. Only "high quality" duck can get me stuffing in more although I am stuffed. The duck meat served was so moist and soft; I especially love the breast meat part (usually it's dry) because it blends so well with the skin!

#4: Scallop Fried Rice in XO Sauce @ 170/300 Baht (app. RM 17.00/RM 30.00)



The XO Fried Rice is also highly recommended and I would have had more if I wasn't saving up my stomach for the duck.

#5: BBQ Pork a.k.a. Char Siew @ 120/220 Baht (app. RM12.00 or RM 22.00)



Their Char Siew wasn't the best but they were better than some local char siew place. Our food expert, Stefani Wan and Silvie pointed out that it is a tad dry and our host immediately exchanged a new plate of dark pink slices. Sadly, we were a bit too full to finish the dish.

Desserts
The dessert is not really stated in the menu, but I guess that you can ask if there are any if you feel like it. That day, we had Black Sesame Soup. I think it is a good choice as it is not as filling as Red Bean or Green Bean soup.


There are so many other interesting dishes on the menu that I personally would like to try. Unfortunately, our stomachs can only be stretched till that much. We will need to save it for another time.


I'm no food pro but I can tell you this, their dishes are really authentic Chinese dishes that taste real good. You know how some restaurants throw in Ginseng and Chicken and call it Ginseng soup? Well, be rest assured that this place is nothing like that.

And like I said, I am no fan of Chinese food, but whatever gets me eating more than I should (and I even studied some of the ingredients to make the dishes) deserves a mention.

Our smiles of satisfaction

p/s: Did I tell you they have an amazing toilet too?

Behind one of these drawers is the "key" to the toilet door knob

Someone's getting out of the toilet

More information about Hong Kong Si Fang Cai (Hong Kong Home Cuisine):

Address: 297/439 Soi Satutpradit 19, Tanon Satutpradit, Chongnonsi, Yannawa Bangkok 10120 
(Naradhiwas Soi 24)
Telephone: 02-674 1414/ 085-088-3835

Love and Cheers,
TammyC
p/s: Special thank you to our host, Madam <> for the scrumptious dinner. 

Comments

Popular Posts