SUPERMAN AIN'T REAL



She's watching the taxi driver, he pulls away
She's been locked up inside her apartment a hundred days
She says, "Yeah he's still coming just a little bit late"
He got stuck at the Laundromat washing his cape
She's just watching the clouds roll by and they spell her name
Like Lois Lane
And she smiles, oh the way she smiles

She's talking to angels
Counting the stars
Making a wish on a passing car
She's dancing with strangers
Falling apart
Waiting for Superman to pick her up in his arms, yeah
Waiting for Superman

She's out on the corner trying to catch a glimpse
Nothing's making sense
She's been chasing an answer
A sign lost in the abyss
This Metropolis
She says, "Yeah, he'll still coming just a little bit late"
He got stuck at the Five and Dime saving the day
She says, "If life was a movie, then it wouldn't end like this, left without a kiss"
Still she smiles, oh the way she smiles

She's waiting for Superman to lift her up and take her anywhere
Show her love and flying through the air
Save her now before it's too late tonight
oh at the speed of light
and she smiles...

There are two interpretations of this song, in my opinion. In one, this girl is waiting for the right man to be in her life and save her from the misery she is experiencing. In the other, this girl is about to commit suicide, jump off a building to free herself from the sorrows she is experiencing.

In both scenarios, she wishes that someone would save her.

I really like this song by Daughtry because I feel the pain the girl must be feeling. She is down, depressed and all but I hope I will never be like this girl. I mean, I have my low periods but I am not the kinda girl who hopes for a guy to save me from anything because truth is, it is not necessary - we should always be able to help ourselves. I'm not saying that we don't need anyone in life but I just feel we do not need to be overly dependent. I don't believe that having a man in your life will help you set your life straight. It is great to have love and all but as a girl, I do believe that we need to be self-sufficient and independent. It is sad that she feels she needs a superhero to save her because she is strong enough to save herself. 

I find my friends and family the best people in the world who are always able to help me out when I am most down and perhaps that's why I never felt the need to have Superman. I secretly hate the fact that Lois Lane ALWAYS need a man to save her. I am just glad the more recent instalments of Superman eradicated that element. I mean, at times of danger, if a woman waits to be saved, she probably won't make it. Superman just ain't real man. But we can still enjoy the song.




Comments

Popular Posts