TEAM MALAYSIA

When I heard the news about a few Malaysian chosen to represent the country in the IMMAF World Championships in Las Vegas, I personally was very happy and proud because honestly, I love the five athletes who were chosen as I know some of them. They are some of the strongest amateur MMA fighters we have and should definitely be given a chance to compete. For me, everyone can be a great fighter but what makes a fighter stand out is their attitude and heart. I believe that these five chosen fighters have the right attitude and definitely the heart to win. I don't know much about the controversial aspects of the MMA scene, but the fact of the matter is, we should always proud to have good represents in the international level. For me, I am proud because I know these guys are dedicated and will try their best to win, and sometimes, taking that step is more important that the win itself. (That said, still hope the boys win la)

The five athletes I am talking about are Prabu Somanaidu, Allen Solomon Chong, Keanu Subba, Adrian Tham and Jim Chong Jing Yi. They will carry the Malaysian flag in Las Vegas with the hopes of showing to the world what Malaysians are made of. These five fighters are the talents unearthed through the Malaysian Invasion Mixed Martial Arts Fighting Championship (MIMMA) organized by Tune Talk, in which all of them are the current champions. This further proves the credibility of them to represent the country at the IMMAF Fighting Championships.


Prabu or known as Bubu a.k.a Superman is one of the fighters that I got a chance to be acquainted with when I was working with the MIMMA team. He also lend his voice in one of my friend's wedding video project. Initially I felt that Bubu was a man of few words but now he has opened up more. I find him a very funny and straightforward guy and I really like that in a person. It is also interesting that he actually quit his full time job as a Telekom technician to pursue his passion for MMA. I think that is a really huge life decision but I feel happy for him that he found something he is so into. Prabu now trains full time and is on his way to becoming one of the top Malaysian fighters! Oh he is also from Perak so I am even more proud to have him as represent because I am also from Perak!



Allen Solomon Chong is also another very interesting and funny guy. I love his antics on MIMMA because he does the craziest things for his fans. I remember vividly during MIMMA weigh-ins, he did the most hilarious stunt of carrying bananas as guns. Seriously, weigh-ins are more fun when there are fighters come with lame gimmicks haha. He also was in Ultimate Fighter China some time last year and was rumoured at one point to debut in UFC Macau. Personally, Allen is one of the toughest fighters I've seen who have so much heart and dedication regardless of his age. I want to wish him the best.

Photo credited to blogger Tony Teh of Colourlessopinions.com

Named after Keanu Reeves, Keanu Subba is one of the two infamous Subba brothers. The younger bro of Gianni Subba, ONE FC's flyweight contender, Keanu is set to make his own name in the international scene through IMMAF. I've heard so much about Keanu and how good he is and I've never doubted that. If you have watched his fights on MIMMA, you'll know what I mean. He is a whole different level of competition, despite being an amateur. He finished all his fights within round 1 and mostly within 2 minutes or less. At the MIMMA's final, he KO-ed his opponent in just 29 seconds. I am very excited for Keanu as I know that IMMAF will open up so many opportunities for this young and talented boy. Just like his brother Gianni, Keanu is out to be an MMA star in the world.

Photo credited to The Star Newspaper
What is IMMAF?
The inaugural International Mixed Martial Arts Federation (IMMAF) World Championships which is going to be held in Las Vegas Nevada, United States of America from 29 June 2014 to 7 July 2014 will witness a national team of talented MMA fighters representing their country and compete at the championship which involves teams from all over the world. At the IMMAF World Championships, the world will witness the first ever amateur world champions to be crowned across all weight categories at the Ultimate Fighting Championship Fan Expo in July 2014.

Why should we be proud?
We are the only Southeast Asian country taking part and the only recognised SEA MMA Federation. I only have all good things to say about our Sports Ministry for the support because I know that these boys deserve the opportunity to shine for the country. Personally, I am also a huge fan of Tune Talk's effort in promoting Mixed Martial Arts in the country. No matter what crap some people say about Jason Lo, one has got to admit that Jason Lo is a visionary in helping the growth of the sport and in supporting the growth of our local MMA fighters. The things that Jason Lo has done to help the industry and these fighters is amazing and I salute him for this. There are a lot of people who contributed to the development of the sport but I think one of the biggest role is still played by Jason Lo. You may or may not agree. And of course, Kementerian Belia dan Sukan (KBS).

I want to share a quote from a press release issued by MASMMMA: 

The President of MASMMAA, Jalluddin Abu Hassan said “The IMMAF World Championship will further establish Malaysia on the MMA world map and as an MMA powerhouse in Asia. MASMMA is always looking for channels to develop the sport in Malaysia. By sending the team to Las Vegas, we are setting a benchmark to all the fighters locally so that they will push themselves to a level in which they can compete internationally. Team Malaysia will make sure everyone in Las Vegas will remember the name of our country. Not everything that happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!”

Sports bring people together and I feel MMA has done even more so. I love the team spirit and how everyone supports everyone in building the sport. Personally, I hope that the sport will stay pure and that the people involved in the sport will stay forever nice and humble, and not corrupt the sport with selfish agenda. It is idealistic but one can only hope.

So I was rooting for the Malaysian team and then I saw this...


I swayed a little but then I remember how awesome #teammalaysia is and I am back hahaha...

Wishing the team all the best of luck at IMMAF and I can't wait to hear how great they were. For me, I always feel that doing the best is more important because when you know you did, you should be proud no matter what. So I just hope the boys give it all and winning will then come naturally.

Here's to more great MMA talents in Malaysia.

I am also very excited about ONE FC Taiwan! Can't wait for July 11 and the next Malaysian event. Today was quite a rough day for me but I am so glad it is over and I am prepping for bed. August I am expecting a great month but I will try to not be overly excited so that I won't get disappointed too.

To more great life adventure, love and happiness!

Comments

Popular Posts