REMEMBER GARY



Kang Gary...
A simple and normal guy - a common face he has, they say.
But that's what makes me love him even more.

Of course, when one first saw him on Running Men, he doesn't stand-out. But once or twice, he does do some silly things that gets people laughing. Later on, he just continued to shine with his charms and sincerity. You can see that when you watch the programme, just try to look at the tiny things he does at the side.

I love his "relationship" with actress Song Ji Hyo in the show. Although not real, I somehow wish that it will be for real one day. You know, it's just like the type of fairytale you want to see although you always know that reality does s*** big time.


The more I learn about Gary, the more I find him interesting and cute. I love how shy this guy can be, although he comes out with 'cheesy' pick-up lines. I love to think that, just like me, he is insecure but puts on a front because that's all one can do. I love the way this guy poetically writes his story through rap.

I just love his music because through his music, we understand that everyone struggles through life to find direction and to find love.

Today I am sharing this song that I just found by Leessang (consisting of Gary and his partner, Gil)

It's called Remembrance/Memories.
It is beautiful because it contains the essence of life. I will share the English translation of the song, which I find so meaningful and beautiful.

LeeSsang (Feat. Baek Ji Young) - Remembrance (회상) Lyrics

When my mother was pregnant with me, she slept sitting down
This was because of my kicking
I was a trouble maker since I was in my mom's womb
In middle school, I punched the class president and put a hole in his face
My mother knelt before me and cried in front of me all night
So after that point, I don't fight anymore
Afraid that I'd become a gangster, she always told me not to get into fights before I left the house
I wondered what I would be when I grew up
I was afraid that like a mouse cursor, I wouldn't be able to go out to the big world
But I still dreamt- and at a late age of 26, I was determined
Told myself that the wanderings and poverty of youth were things that anyone went through
I comforted myself in this way and every night for my dreams, I wrote words


I learned so much about Gary's life through this paragraph and again. I realised that people can change. I am so proud of Gary for not becoming a gangster but turned out to be such an awesome rapper. I believe he is a good son, because he didn't want to let his mother down.

I love how he use the mouse cursor to define a confined life. I never really thought about it, but true, our mouse cursor is always confined in a box.

Wanderings and poverty of youth were things that anyone went through

I realise how humble and grateful he is - and it is true. If you do not come from a rich family, you'll learn to appreciate your money more and you tend to be more grateful when you have money. Gary is always very down-to-earth, even on Running Man, and if you observe, he is not at all extravagant although he is a celebrity. I admire that about him and the fact that he keeps on finding a dream to pursue.

Bridge
This life that I lived
This life that I will live
My unchanging life song song song

Chorus
Repetitions of ups and downs
Repetitions of joy and sadness
Repetitions of love and separation
My life turns and turns (x2)

The chorus is simple, yet, so meaningful.

It simply define life - the things we have to face throughout our journey. We are reminded that nothing is permanent because it really just turns and turns. When singing the chorus, I can so relate to it because my life has been so full of ups and downs, especially when you hit adulthood.

It was more successful than I thought, Leessang's first album
Like a wandering gypsy, I saw a light for this exhausted life
An unbelieveable love had come to me
The love song that I could sing for her- "LeeSsang Blues" *
It was the most beautiful song I wrote after I started to write
But eventually, her wedding dress was not for me
Of course, my faults were big but it was so hard
I drowned myself in alcohol that night
The wanderings and poverty of youth were things that anyone went through
I comforted myself like this but pain found me
Cheated off the money I made from evil and like a cherry blossom, I bloomed and withered
And with bare hands I rowed

Gary transited to talk about his music career and how he started with Leessang and how they were successful. Of course, the first taste of success would give anyone hope, especially after all the hardship. Have you ever felt that way, like perhaps, everything paid off? I recently did when I worked on the ONE FC project. Like, I found a hope in finding my passion again.

Gary found his love then as well, but because of sudden mistakes that he'd made, he lost her. I love the fact that he writes to convey his love for his girl - and I love how he writes about his regrets and his lost. Cliche and lame, I know, but I am touched. I've never been a relationship, but from the song, I can feel his pain - the pain of losing the person you love to another person.

This lately started broadcasting life was getting more and more fun
Though I didn't make much money
All the scars I got from people, I tie back to people
From Yoo Jae Suk, who tries until it's successful, I learned diligence
I wake myself up again - The music that made me lazy is getting so fun
Every single day, my mind is awake
Just like my manager, Director Choi, who ran to me every day when I said I'd quit music
I am a racer who is running again
The wanderings and poverty of youth were things that anyone went through
I comforted myself like this - because I went through all that, I won't be broken 
I chew pain like gum - the dark night raises me up again, I raise myself up

Brilliantly, Gary wrote about his involvement in the variety programme, Running Man. He even said, "I am a Racer who is running again" - so cleverly embedded in the lyrics is the word Running - such relevance to the programme. I love how he can put into lines his experiences and what he felt and learn into lyrics.

We now understand his respect for Yoo Jae Suk and how when he felt like giving up, he has his manager by his side to motivate him.

He ended with "Because I went through all that, I won't be broken"

True, once you've gone through the worst, sometimes, nothing can scare you anymore, because you know that you'll grace through it, just like all the other hardships.

I'll end my post with total admiration for this talented guy, Kang Gary.

His latest song, Tears, continues to awe me - but this, I'm going to save it for another day.

I hope he continues to produce music that is filled with heart and soul - really, you can feel how he pours himself into his music with his poetic words, and that's why I fell so in love with this personality!

Tomorrow is Chinese New Year Eve (technically, today since it is already past 12)

Although life keeps turning, hopefully the Snake Year brings with it more ups and joy then down and sorrows.


Comments

  1. So coincident! I was listening to their song now too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha!!!! :) Yew Wei Sin, when are you free?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just discovered the song , i already love it :D, and your analysis is really good :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts