THE SOULFUL INDONESIAN SONGSTRESS WITH THE SONG THAT WILL LITERALLY REMAIN IN OUR SOULS



So I was in my third cafe, struggling to get good internet connection in Jakarta last week so that I can send out all my emails and do my work peacefully. My conclusion was that there won't be good internet inside Plaza Semanggi. To make myself feel better, I ordered a bowl of Tom Yam (which was a huge mistake by the way, because I eventually lost my voice) and decided to just chill for a bit before I make my way back to my little box, the sad hotel room.

While sipping Tom Yam soup and doing whatever I could online, this song came on the speakers in the cafe. I first heard this song when rooming with MMA fighter Ann Osman. I loved it but I forgot to ask her the title of the song, so I was so happy to hear the song again! 

Finally found it on Spotify and here it is. This beautiful Indonesian songstress is super talented and her voice melodious. Her jazzy style is very soothing and soulful - I love it. Although her original English songs have pretty superficial lyrics, her voice made the song so good. If you have time, you can check out some of her English song covers, pretty good. 

But this Indonesian song is definitely her best work yet. Tetap Di Jiwa translates directly as  "Remains in my Soul" and it is meaningful in multiple levels. I think most people who have suffered a hurtful mutual break-up can relate to it. But then again, even if you are not in a relationship, I think you can relate to the lyrics in a different way. 

The song describes how when a relationship ends, one still remains true and the person that you once loved, will still forever be in your heart. For when two people changed, their worlds become apart, but still, memories make you remember them. Perhaps that is enough, really. 

I believe in every relationship, romance or friendship, some people will remain in your memory for life because although things have changed as you grew apart, they were in your life for a reason. Sometimes, you just know you have to end the relationship, for the better of both. Nevertheless, all the good or bad times you've gone through together, you learn from the relationship you had with that person and the experience with him or her somehow contributed to shaping the person you are today. I love the interpretation of the song about relationships and I hope you find your own meaning in the lyrics.

Tak pernah terbayang 
Never had I imagine
Akan jadi seperti ini pada akhirnya
That it would end like this
Semua waktu yang pernah kita lewati bersamanya 
All those times we spent together
Telah hilang dan sirna
Are gone

Hitam putih berlalu
The memories passed 
Janji kita menunggu
We promised we wait
Tapi kita tak mampu
But we can't
Seribu satu cara kita lewati tuk dapatkan semua jawapan ini
We've tried a thousand ways to find an answer to this

Bila memang harus berpisah
When we really have to part
Aku akan tetap setia
I will still stay true
Bila memang ini ujungnya
When this is really an end
Kau kan tetap ada di dalam jiwa
You will still be in my heart / soul

Tak bisa tuk teruskan
We can't go on
Dunia kita berbeda
Our worlds are different
Bila memang ini ujungnya
When this is really an end
Kau kan tetap ada di dalam jiwa
You will still be in my heart / soul

Memang tak mudah 
It is not easy
Tapi aku tegar
But I am firm
Menjalani kosongnya hati
To go through this emptiness
Buanglah mimpi kita yang telah terjadi
Let's throw away the dreams that we've been through
Dan simpan tuk jadi histori
And keep it as a memory

Hitam putih berlalu
Janji kita menunggu
Tapi kita tak mampu
Seribu satu cara kita lewati tuk dapatkan semua jawapan ini

Bila memang harus berpisah
Aku akan tetap setia
Bila memang ini ujungnya
Kau kan tetap ada di dalam jiwa


I was never in a romantic relationship with anyone but there were a few guys in my life that really helped me understand love, romance and relationship in life. So even though nothing worked out between us, I'm still so grateful that they were in my life for so many reasons and they will forever be ingrained in my memory, for every single one of them had brought a piece of lesson with them. They helped shape the late-20s me and I am grateful for that. This one is for you G & D, no matter what our endings  will be in future.

Comments

Popular Posts