PACHINKO IS NOT AT ALL BAD


"Pachinko" is probably my best read so far in 2020. As I journeyed through the lives of 4 generations of a Korean family, I learned so much more about the history and settings of one of my favourite cities in the universe!

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know every character in the book, although some, unfortunately, I wasn't able to spend more time with. The book highlights the contrasting lifestyle between the old and the young, but maintains the similar struggles to survive in a world of discrimination. Granted, the current generation has better privileges and access to education, but is still unable to escape societal prejudice.

The historical and cultural offerings in the book also opened my eyes to the intricate and sensitive relationship between the Japanese and Koreans. It explained the dynamics I witnessed between some people I work with from both countries.

The underlining theme is that one of human's biggest flaws throughout all generations is our "blanket mindset" - casting judgements, stereotyping and generalizing people based on race, occupation and past. The book further articulates that no one, or no one thing in life is all bad; more often than not, many things in life are superficial. 

The beauty of it all though is when someone find the will and ways to overcome the trials of unfairness and find the simplest joys in life.


Comments

Popular Posts