IN BECOMING


So much emotions reading this book, Becoming. 

In terms of personality, I am not wired like Michelle Obama (I definitely do not have a tidy office / clean closet,  I leave my clothes on the floor, you get the idea. I'd like to think that I am more a Barack Obama in this area) but there were so many things she said and experienced in life, especially during her years in the corporate world, that I can truly relate to. It just shows that although we are all different, in some ways, as humans or women especially, we have our similarities. 

Her strength, vision, integrity, humility and intelligence made her a true role model for all women (and men) out there striving to BECOME. 
"Becoming isn't about arriving somewhere or achieving a certain aim. I see it instead as forward motion, a means of evolving a way to reach continously toward a better self. The journey doesn't end." 

- Michelle Obama 
This book left me not only inspired to do more for others but I am filled with a new sense of admiration for the Obamas. Being the First Family is a heavy responsibility, and requires a lot of sacrifices. Michelle and Barack did such an amazing job at raising their girls while carrying the burden of leading the nation. 

There were many parts of the book that got me emotional for various reasons. Once, I was lost in the moment of sadness together with the Robinsons when they lost their father. I remember my sister walking into to room with me, hysterical in tears reading it. Other parts moved me to tears because I was so overwhelmed with feelings - touched and encouraged by the Former First Lady's words. As a woman, what she fights for resonates strongly with me, especially in advocating that women should always have a voice and deserve a chance in education. 

I also think that she is an excellent writer, her work is crisp, crunchy and witty. Like her, I am not one who is interested in politics at all and I don't even like autobiographies, but this one is a standout. 

Michelle Obama is truly extraordinary in her own ordinary. 

Comments

Popular Posts