WHY WE WILL COME OUT BETTER PEOPLE AFTER THESE EXTRAORDINARY TIMES


Contrary to popular beliefs, most people are actually busier these days than ever before. One of the specimens that can attest to that statement is right here (at 2.36am earlier today), trying to transfer the slivers of thoughts in her mind onto a blank white sheet of physical space while she is still inspired by life events. For those who claims that they year 2020 is not a great year so far, let me explain why I feel the opposite could be true.

1. You realize that you are strong
This is a year where everyone, regardless of nationality, religious beliefs or political views, will be affected in some ways, be it financially, emotionally, physically etc. But whatever difficulties you might be going through now will one day be memories you look back upon to commemorate how well you did to overcome these challenging times. It will forever serve as a testimony of your strength because the tough times did not defeat you. This continues to build your confidence and prepare you for the next challenge because we all know that tough times don't last, tough people do. An added bonus is, you will also start to realize that there are some "crutches" in life that you thought you need, but actually can live without.

2. You learn to adapt
The ability to adapt is actually very important to a certain extend. Most people would fuss or get uncomfortable about change, but the truly successful ones, even businesses, are the ones who manage to change and adapt with the times. That is why we don't see the type of cellphones that can kill people (NOKIA) nowadays, even for such a legendary brand, they failed to adapt and had to shut down their business.

Similarly, as human beings, we also need change to train us to adapt and to facilitate growth. MCO and coronavirus has taught many to think out of the box to adjust, innovate and do things differently. And this point gracefully leads me to my next.

3. You spawn creativity and productivity
Those who are financially strained are thinking of ways to survive. Those who are bored are producing more Tiktok content and Dalgona coffee. Those who are hardworking are cooking while those who are desperate for some action, resorted to house-cleaning (yours truly).

Pre-stranded-at-home times, we always found excuses to be lazy but now, everyone seems to be investing a bit more effort into looking for activities to do at home so as to not be bored. This has unearthed so many new talents and I bet some of these talents, you didn't even know you had it in you. Sad to say, sometimes, when we have a social life, we become "talkers" rather than the "doers". Now, at least everyone is trying to "DO" something.

Myself, I drew more, wrote more and read more. In fact, some books I read were self-help books which helped develop me more mentally. I also discovered more home workout videos and work out more. I even do a bit of Yoga (the most boring kind of fitness routine) and stretches now due to the back pain resulted from the restricted movements (literally). And because I love to eat so much, I challenged myself to embark on a mission to do yet another round of long-term intermittent fasting to control my late-night snacking habits, especially now that I am stuck at home. Training myself discipline in food is rewarding because it programmes in me a "can do" attitude. It is hard, trust me, because I really love to eat unhealthy food. So I hope if I maintain this, I can come out a healthier being who defies the lures of cakes.

  

4. You appreciate things more
I think most importantly of all, everyone knows that we are treasuring the little things more.

I find myself so thankful to God for all the blessings surrounding me at this time, in every aspect of life.

I am so grateful to be with family during this time and that we are all healthy, safe and still not on each others' nerves.

I am so thankful I'm not affected by the economy because me and my siblings still have an income. Every time we stock up at the grocery, it is not only a field trip for the 30 minutes of freedom, but also a reminder of how blessed we are to still be able to have food without any worry about whether we can afford the next meal.

Hearing stories about people struggling now is a reminder to myself not to take the things I have now for granted and to always save! I admit that I am the worst at being thrifty and in controlling my spending. But now, I have to constantly remind myself that I need to be able to go back in lifestyle if I ever find myself in a situation where I can't afford the things I have now. My dad has always taught us to "live within our means" and that is probably one of life's best advice. It is OK to splurge when you have some extra but we should always be financially prepared for the difficult times and be wise with money management. (This actually serves more as a reminder for me to halt all online shopping extravaganzas. All the on-going MCO sales promo popping up online are ungodly tests to tempt me into failure!)

I can only imagine how it is for people who are financially strained now or are in fact battling the virus. I am truly blessed that my only stress is to get my job done well. Every time I complain, I hear "Angel Me" in my head scoffing and humiliating "Devil Me". All these, of course made me a better person in that I learn to embrace stress more positively. Just like everyone, we will slowly be changing our perspectives in life, to see the positives in everything that is happening. Slowly but hopefully, surely. I also think more people are being nicer because everyone wants to spread positive energy during this hard times.

CLOSING:
Truth is, I don't know if all these changes will last for everyone. Some may fall back to old practices, while others might have these new habits / lifestyle installed in them forever. But it is safe to say that this experience has definitely made a mark not just in the world's historical timeline, but also in everyone's personal stories. So in every way, it has changed something for everyone, no matter how small (like discovering that your spouse actually do some weird things, that you actually like being alone and locked up so jail might not be that bad etc). I hope that for you, it is for the better and not the bitter.

p/s: I should really get started on my plan to make Dalgona coffee. Am I ready to whip coffee 400 times?

pp/s: Did I mention that I might have a hidden talent for being a barber? I've attended to 3 out of 5 people's hair in the family. Perhaps they trusted me because they have nothing to lose since no one is meeting people anyway.

***

If you made it through this post, congratulations, you have achieved nothing. Ha ha.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts