T-REVIEWS: COLOURS OF AGRABAH


Aladdin is one of my favourite Disney cartoons growing up but to be honest, I was not impressed when the cast was selected. But boy, was I wrong! I think the director and producers knew exactly what to look for and did an amazing job conceptualizing the feel and mood of the film, and then bringing this Disney classic into life. 

Princess Jasmine is Naomi Scott; I can't think of a better actress to play this role. She has done one of my favourite Disney princesses justice. In the cartoon, Princess Jasmine is known to be a strong character who doesn't succumb to arranged marriages with Princes but the Princess Jasmine in the movie is so much more than that. She empowers women to speak up and demonstrates that women too make great leaders. This is such a powerful message highlighted in the movie for women (especially in certain more backward nations) who feel trapped and judged by gender roles and stereotypes. I truly hope this movie breaks barriers for girls and help them break free to pursue their own dreams and reach their destinies. My favourite part was the Bollywood-like scene where Princess Jasmine broke into an emotional song and then finally be the Sultan she was meant to be, speaking on behalf of her people.

Will Smith as the Genie is pure genius although I know a lot of people were unsure about it. He plays the most entertaining character in the film besides Abu, the monkey.

And then there is Aladdin. I was not sure about the actor playing one of my favourite Princes (in fact, he could be my favourite Prince) but I did come out of the cinema impressed with Mena Massoud.

Everything that has to be magical about Aladdin has been done in a simple and to the point kind of way - especially in the beginning, I kind of feel that it moved too fast but it did work. The city of Agrabah was very surreal and I love the colours and mood of the film. The music and dances were a cool mix of Bollywood and Hollywood, hence it makes the film far from cheesy. I went in with low expectations but I came out very entertained 

p/s: I fell in love again with "A Whole New World". I need to get me a magic carpet.

Comments

Popular Posts