FRANKLY SPEAKING



She is so different from what I imagined her to be - so much more independent, intelligent and strong. I always thought of her as a victim, but I learned that she is "frank", outspoken, and most importantly, yearns to be different. 

One can personally relate to a lot of her feelings and thoughts - her insecurities despite confidence, her conflicts, her depression and I guess that's why we all love her so much. It is impressive that she penned all those ideas and thoughts betwen 13 to 15, when I only think like that at a much later age. Despite some naivety, she truly is wise way beyond her years and possibly one of the few feminists during that era even at such that young age. 

Reading her diary made her so real and there is a much more profound sadness when her diary ended abruptly, knowing that her hiding place was discovered. She said she wants to be a writer and make a difference in the world - she truly did. I could only imagine how powerful an individual she would be had she survived the Holocaust. 

I did not enter the house of Anne Frank before this because I haven't read the book but on my next trip back, I will definitely experience it again, differently.

Comments

Popular Posts