CHERISHING CHARIOT



I like this song a lot. Initially, I was attracted to the music, the sound of it - so ya, the 'physical attraction'.

Chariot by Gavin deGraw



But then I got to know the lyrics. This song's lyrics are really meaningful, although very indirectly. The meaning isn't clear cut, well at least to me it isn't. It's about loving mother nature.

Oh, chariot
Your golden waves
Are walking down upon this face

Oh, chariot
I'm singing out loud
To guide me

Give me your strength

You'll be my vacation away from this place
You know what I want

Holding that cup that's pouring over the sides

Makes me wanna spread my arms and fly

Apparently the 'chariot' is a vehicle that sends someone to paradise or heaven or something, so I guess Gavin DeGraw is asking the Chariot to take him a place that is away from the polluted or 'unoriginal' place that we inhabit now. He was to just taste the natural mother nature, spread his wings and fly - maybe experience the fresh air that once filled the layers on Earth. My GOD! How I agree. My nose itching like mad because of the haze and it is killing me. If I had wings, I'd fly back straight to Liverpool. The air quality there is so much better, even though it's supposingly dryer there.

Bring it back
More than a memory

If only mother nature could be restored just like that. I mean, ya, there are effort in taking care of mother nature, that's for sure. But I don't know, the current state of the Malaysian atmosphere is so not working for me. Blame it on whichever forest that is burning or maybe is the contribution of the fleet of cars jamming the city roads or all of those super 'cool' dudes or dudettes holding a stick wrapped with tobacco that lets out smoke, SOMETHING HAS GOT TO BE DONE ABOUT THE MALAYSIAN AIR!

Staring at a maple leaf
Leaning on the mother tree
I said to myself we all lost touch

Your favorite fruit is chocolate covered cherries

And seedless watermelon

Nothing from the ground is good enough


So...I believe that Gavin DeGraw was contemplating when he was writing this song. Imagine yourself sitting under a tree, looking at the leaves and ...*ta da* the inspiration to pen a song about nature. Makes perfect sense though I never have that ability to do so. Well, it is true that we don't appreciate mother nature. Forget the fact that we are already not taking care of it, we demand more that what nature gives. I mean, thousands of years ago, does 'seedless watermelon' even exists? Now we even how square shaped watermelons for the love of God. But that is just for the sake of giving scientists some stuff to do and explore. And like Gavin DeGraw say, some people have to eat cherries with chocolates...like, nothing is natural anymore and nothing from the ground itself is good enough. Agreeable...

Remember seeking moon's rebirth
Rains made mirrors of the earth
The sun was just yellow energy

There is a living promised land

Even over fields of sand

Seasons fill my mind and cover me


I guess this is a description of mother nature in itself - beautiful.
You know what my favourite mother nature creation is? The ocean. I can just sit there and stare at it for hours by the beach; best accompanied by some really great music. Awww....missing it already. Wanting to do so already...

Anyway, another nice song by Gavin DeGraw. I'm pretty stuck with Gavin's songs lately. It reminds me a lot of Liverpool because Gavin's songs have been a huge part of my song list when walking down the streets of Liverpool.

More songs to write about.
Keep supporting great music. Cheers~

With Lotsa Lurve,
TammyC



Comments

Popular Posts