THE MILLER WHO TOUCHED A MILLION LIVES

Great day as I finally get to enjoy a slow day and enjoy a break.

But the best part of the day is discovering a new song and a new talent that writes such meaningful rap material that he puts rappers like Pitbull, Flo Rida to shame. If popular rap songs are always about girls, sex, drugs, getting laid, one night stands, one liners that repeat itself, Jake Miller has managed to revolutionalise the concept of rap songs for me. Oh but of course, bands like Linkin' Park, Gym Class Heroes, do have some good pieces to offer, but none of those stood out like this Jake Miller track that I am about to share.


I guess what attracted me to the song is the fact that it is real, and so heartfelt that you can't help but be impressed with Miller's skills in stringing words together to tell these real life stories and weaving them into a melodious masterpiece. Like I said before, somehow, it felt real.

The other day I got an email, I almost didn't read it
Something caught my eyes right before I could delete it
It was bold and underlined, "Please read" was the title
Followed by "Jake you are my idol"
It said and I quote, 

My name is Nikki and I used to be a dancer...
Till the day the doctor diagnosed me with cancer
So I said goodbye to all the hair on my head
And said hello to my hospital bed
Yeah see I was just a normal girl, it happened so fast
There were so many days I thought would be my last
However, the fight was tough and the battle was long
But I felt strong when I listen to your songs
You were always there for me, you helped my heart beat
You were my only friend, kept you on repeat
I thank God for you every single night
'Cause believe it or not, you saved my life

Chorus (repeat twice)
I've met a million people, been a million places
Shook a million hands, seen a million faces
I've had a million lows, and a million more highs
No I haven't made a million but I've touched a million lives 

I love the chorus because I think everyone can relate to this chorus. We meet so many people and go through life with a fair share of happiness and sorrows. But I like how Miller puts it, it is really not the money made that make your life meaningful, it is how many hearts you've touched and how you inspire others in your own way that makes your life worth living. And I will continuously work towards helping people and making a positive change in their lives, the best that I could because seeing others get the happiness they deserve makes me very contented.  

Yeah the mailman knocked and said it was for me
Handed me a box sent from Tennessee
Written on the top "For Jake's eyes only"
Inside was a journal and letter he wrote me
It said, my name is Dillon, I'm in 7th grade
I'm ridiculed and picked on almost everyday
Yeah they pushed me in the halls in between my classes
Yesterday they took my books and broke my glasses
I got no one to talk to, it's like I don't exist
Sometimes I wonder, if I were gone, would I be missed?
But let me tell the real reason for this letter
You've helped me through it all, you've helped me feel better
Your words give me confidence, your messages inspire me
You help me find my inner strength deep inside me
Through all the bad times, you helped me find the light
Believe or not, you saved my life

I was sitting at my table at dinner the other night
When I noticed a little girl sitting to my right
She was looking at me, like she knew me, I guess she did
'cause then she walked right up to, and then she said
My name is Sammi and I swear that I'm your biggest fan
I think she even had my name written on her hand
She said me and my brother used to listen to you everyday
Until last year, when he passed away
I'll never forget seeing my parents cry
When they got a call saying that your son has died
Man I wish that he was here now, you were his favourite
He had your mix-tape and he never stopped playing it
Your music gives me a feeling that I just can't describe
It's like I got my brother back and he's still alive
'cause believe or not, you saved my life

Now let me turn the table and talk to you
I had a dream, and you're the reason it's coming true
Yeah I've had some dark days, when the sun don't shine
But you always reminded me I would be fine
'Cause when no one else cared, you believed in my vision
And now I've got an army coming with me on my mission
I thank God for all of you every single night
'cause believe or not, you saved my life

This song reminds us of what music can do for people. It inspires, motivates, supports, gives us happiness...music also brings back memories. It is like preservatives - sometimes, helps you relive back a particular moment. I have a few songs on my playlist that can help me relive the memories of Liverpool, some of my childhood even. Basically, music and lyrics can touch lives in various unique ways, and make it bearable for a moment. Just like what Miller had done through this beautiful song - he had not only paid tribute to the few fans who had written to him, he also included a special thank you message to all his other fans. 

Miller is a really gifted artist. Check out all his other songs. I love how he puts great wise words in his work and most of his songs are designed to reach deep into your soul to inspire, heal and motivate you.


Comments

Popular Posts